Friday

Bob Dylan

Blood on the Tracks (New York Sessions) - 1974

Though I've always preferred New Morning or Desire over the much treasured Blood On The Tracks when it comes to Dylan's mid-70s output, these original New York sessions would have made one hell of an LP if the man hadn't second guessed himself and re-recorded all but a couple of the tracks back home in Minnesota. Famously and meticulously constructing this album for months, the back story as to why Dylan recorded the album, nearly released it and finally chose to re-record everything is so long and storied that I'll leave it up to the real Dylanologists to give you the full story. It's up to you however, to hear for yourself how it would have sounded in the first place. Enjoy.

7 comments:

Pat Carty said...

I had always thought that the song "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" was the one to skip on "Blood On The Tracks". The verion here is a revelation. Many thanks for this great post and all the other fine albums you've made available. Keep up the good work.

JR HeatWarp said...

It's funny, I've always thought the same thing about "...Jack of Hearts", but it's my favorite track on this bootleg. I imagine only Dylan himself could explain that one.

Slidewell said...

Of course, the first thing I'm thinking when I hear these versions is: Where's the energy? Songs that had always sounded so full of tension are delivered here so casually and relaxed. But after a few listens, now certain songs on the released version sound rushed, as if he couldn't wait to finish the take. The different vocal delivery on the NY version gives me the impression of a man's accounting past battles from the perspective of time, where the released version sounds like dispatches from the front, where the narrator is accounting events as they happen. Is one version better than the other? no, just different. A remarkable inside look into the process of songwriting and performing.

Johnson said...

I have to say I prefer, what I believe are, the New York Session versions of Idiot Wind and If You See Her, Say Hello as released on Bootleg Series Vol. 2 & 3. The organ does add a haunting touch to the harmonica solo at the end of Idiot Wind here, but overall, the Bootleg versions are much cleaner and tight, while still being more spare than the album versions. Thanks though. I hadn't heard most of these versions.

Rob said...

Is this all pulled from Acetates, or just a rip from Viynl?

JR HeatWarp said...

Good question Rob. This doesn't really sound like a vinyl or acetate to me, so my guess is that it's booted from the original tapes.

whiteray said...

Thanks for this -- fascinating stuff. It will take a few listens to figure out which I prefer, though I expect I will end up preferring different versions at different times, depending on the emotional load I have at the time. So it goes with Bob's music for me.