Friday

James Brown

Love, Power, Peace (Live) - 1971

While Sex Machine may be the more popular of the live records from this era, Love, Power, Peace is a better document of the band, and the Godfather, really tightening up and letting loose. Compressing "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag", "I Got You (I Feel Good)" and "I Got The Feelin" into a 90 second medley, and stretching cuts like "Ain't It Funky Now" and "Sex Machine" into raw, sweat pouring funk workouts, JB was at the peak of his mighty funk power on this night. Originally planned as a triple album release in 1971, the LP was scrapped when JB left King for Polydor and several band members left to form Parliment soon after it was recorded. It wasn't officially released until 1992, and rivaling the great Live at the Apollo [1963] in its sheer intensity and crowd interaction, Love, Power, Peace is an essential document in the evolution of raw, heavy funk and an absolute necessity for all fans of the Godfather. Let The Brother Rap!

3 comments:

Sal said...

Ah, thank you. Lost my copy of this some time ago. It's always been my favorite James Brown recording.

Anonymous said...

Your site is awesome! I had tickets to see JB in January,but alas he didn't make it...love hearing his live recordings. Thanks! :)
John

Anonymous said...

I wish you didn't mentioned the fact that this was orginally planned as a 3-disc album. Now I'm been denied the funk! Oh well..I hope it's out of the vaults one day.

-- JV