Tuesday

Jimmy Smith

Root Down - 1972

As an undeniable master of the Hammond organ and one of the cornerstones of soul-jazz, Jimmy Smith's official output on the Blue Note and Verve labels is surprisingly tame - mildly funky at best. Root Down, recorded live in Los Angeles in February of '72, is the exception. Fronting a band of younger musicians with a clear bend on funk as opposed to the trad-jazz contemporaries that he had paired with throughout much of his career, Smith stretches the grooves to their limit throughout the LP and pulls the funk off in a much more earthy and soul dominant direction than JB, Sly or Funkadelic were taking it around the very same time. While most listeners will immediately recognize the title track as the impetus for the Beastie Boys song and EP of the same name, once this LP gets in your ears and under your skin, it's clearly runs deeper than a sample. The version here includes the full length tunes as they were recorded - as opposed to the truncated versions that made up the original LP. Get it good.


7 comments:

Willard said...

I've never even SEEN this JS before. Thanks JR.

Vincent said...

I am NOT worthy! I bought a defective download of this LEGENDARY breakbeat masterpiece some time ago... Now my life is complete! Thank you

ZubZub said...

Excellent...thanks!

Anonymous said...

I bought this awhile ago on CD. Great album, get it any way you can!

--deadmanstar--

infinitefool said...

Thanks for this. I love jazz/soul organ players.

I've been a big fan of your blog for a while, now. Thanks for all the great work you do.

I've gone ahead and started my own music blog and I'd like to invite you to drop by for a visit. It's the best way I can think of to pay you back for all the great music I've gotten here. If you see this comment posted on other people's blogs, it's because I'm trying to pay back all the bloggers whose sites I visit regularly by offering up some tunes of my own.

I'm at http://infinitefool.blogspot.com/. Come on by and poke around for a while. Bring a friend if you'd like. There's always lots of room.

Robert said...

Thanks for this killer share ... I too was unaware of this record beyond the BB stuff ... as ever, your blog is essential!

thebeathunters said...

i just posted some live miles at a bigger splash. hope you'll enjoy. cheers