Wednesday

Captain Beefheart

The Brown Star Sessions - 1972

The 1972 sessions that produced the Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot LPs marked a new era in the recording career of Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band. With the Captain appearing to have loosened the structural death grip he imposed on his musicians since the Trout Mask Replica LP, the tracks that make up the Brown Star Sessions illustrate the band exploring some new turf by stretching out the tunes and taking their polyrhythmic mayhem to new heights. The results are similar in feel to the officially released Mirror Man Sessions, but more relaxed and varied in style and instrumentation. A number of the tracks here are either instrumental or wildly different versions than those that would appear on Spotlight Kid, Clear Spot and subsequent LPs. Check out the rubbery "Boogler Risin'", which later became "I'm Gonna Booglarize You Baby" and the slower than molasses take on "Clear Spot." The fidelity here is better in some points than others (some sound like studio masters, others contain a little tape hiss) but this is easy to overlook when the music is as potent as this stuff. Enjoy a good freak out.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once more... thanks again for a great share! :-)

Blabber 'n smoke said...

thanks for some great stuff from the Captain but what's wrong with the files? some tracks are over 10 minutes long but contain only actual songs of 3 or 4 minutes. thats weird man!

stu said...

thanks for these rarities excellent stuff.

JR HeatWarp said...

No problem, Blabber. Like I said in the original post, whoever put this bootleg together really screwed up by leaving a bunch of extra space at the end of a few tracks. If I had a corrected version, I'd post it. Until then, this is the small price we pay to hear the Captain's finest.

Blabber 'n smoke said...

Ain't complaining, JR.
The extra space gives us time to meditate on the brilliant mind of Don Vliet.
Thanks again for sharing.

JR HeatWarp said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for listening!

Anonymous said...

thanks!

Bruce said...

I really like SpotKid and ClearSpot, so I'm gonna listen to this. No problem I will re-edit the files with Audacity.

Godley Hill said...

Excellent stuff but could we have a tracklisting?

JR HeatWarp said...

Thanks for the tip on Audacity, Bruce. Maybe I'll download that and try to re-edit these files.

Here's the tracklisting:

1. Boogler Risin' 2. Dirty Blue Gene (I) 3. Dirty Blue Gene (II) 4. Clear Spot (instrumental) 5. Harry Irene 6. Happy Blue Pumpkin 7. Kiss 8. Little Scratch 9. Your Love Brought Me to Life 10. Pompadour Swamp 11. Funeral Hill (I) 12. Frying Pan (instrumental) 13. Dual and Abdul 14. Best Batch Yet (instrumental) 15. Suzy Murder Wrist 16. I Can't Do This Unless I Do This 17. Obenso Cinquo 18. Funeral Hill (II) 19. Flaming Autograph 20. Scratch My Back

Werbock said...

and the exact timing is on this page :

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/captain_beefheart/brown_star_sessions/

Anonymous said...

1 Boogler Risin' 4:29
2 Dirty Blue Gene I 2:53
3 Dirty Blue Gene II 3:41
4 Clear Spot (instrumental) 3:54
5 Harry Irene 3:00
6 Happy Blue Pumpkin 4:43
7 Kiss 2:42
8 Little Scratch 4:45
9 Your Love Brought Me To Life 3:30
10 Pompadour Swamp 6:46
11 Funeral Hill I 3:54
12 Frying Pan 3:28
13 Dual And Abdul 2:48
14 Best Batch Yet (instrumental) 2:15
15 Suzy Murder Wrist 3:41
16 I Can't Do This Unless I Can Do This 2:10
17 Obenso Cinquo 3:48
18 Funeral Hill II 5:59
19 Flaming Autograph 2:57
20 Scratch My Back 1:37

Anonymous said...

Thanks for share! The Captain is THE best!

Anonymous said...

fantastic! i've never heard of this..
thanks,
james

Anonymous said...

Great stuff man :D hard to find beefheart stuff. If anyone knows where to get "Ice cream for Crow"
"Shiny beast" or "doc at the station" please share the links, i'll help you find some too :)

Anonymous said...

Wow. Not heard ANY of this stuff before - needless to say it's way superior to any of those "official bootlegs" on the market. Really impressive, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Это есть здорово!!! Гуд альбом!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to this. I've only been a CB fan for about 25 years (though that might be a longer interval than some listeners have been alive, I guess), so finding material I haven't heard before is always a pleasure. Anything at all is great when it comes to the Captain.

Anonymous said...

Just superb!!Thanks so much for getting this out there...really has made my day. Cheers!